GoDaddy – First step, GoDaddy. Your primary domain should be registered with GoDaddy for at least 2 or more years. Use 1and1.com for secondary websites. Google and other search engines want to see more than one year on websites.
Change the host settings in GoDaddy.
1. Select Domains, then My Domains.
2. Click on your website name.
3. Select Nameservers.
4. Enter nameserver1 as NS1.WWWROOT6.NET and nameserver2 as NS2.WWWROOT6.NET
5. Click the Okay button. This should take about 15 minutes to update.
Free Resources – Ensure an FTP client is on your computer.
WordPress – Easy to use, easy to install, versatile website. It is also SEO friendly. It has a ton o’ plug-ins that enhance its capabilities. We are going to install it from your site’s Control Panel.
1. Go to http://yourdomainname.com/cpanel
2. Enter your user name and password.
3. At the bottom of the page, Click Fantastico
4. Look for WordPress on the left hand side under blogs. Click on WordPress.
5. Click New Installation.
6. Leave Install in Directory blank if you want it in the root directory.
7. Fill in the rest of the form as it requests. Use another email address name for now.
8. Click Install WordPress at the bottom of the page.
9. Click Finish Installation on the next page. NOTE: If an install error occurs, then there is an index.php or index.html file in the root directory that needs to be deleted first.
Basic WordPress Themes – This is only one site of millions! Today we will use one of the themes on this page to see how easy it is to change our WordPress theme.
1. Download your theme to the hard drive. Make a note of the file’s location.
2. Open your FTP program. Copy the file from your hard drive to /public_html/wp-content/themes folder.
3. Login to your WordPress at http://yourdomainname.com/wp-admin.
4. From the menu bar, select Appearance, then Themes.
5. Select the new theme.
First Things First – WordPress Housekeeping
3. Facebook – As you have time. The importance here is knowing who your friends know. Careful with that bong picture.
4. Others – Another Top 10 List. This is from Mashable, a very good resource. You can follow their CEO at Twitter along with other Internet Rock Stars. See who I am following on Twitter for some ideas. For humor, follow badbanana.